Week 5: Kirkus Review

 For my Kirkus review, I have decided to use Beyond the Wand: The Magic and Mayhem of Growing Up a Wizard by Tom Felton.

If you are a fan of Harry Potter in any shape or form, this biography is for you.

Tom Felton dives deep into the beginning of his life and acting career, starting with neighborhood plays that he was too nervous to actually say his lines all the way through his life during and after filming the Harry Potter series. His style of writing is refreshing in the sense that he is able to look back on experiences he and his family went through in order for him to be able to act in all sorts of movies, like Anna and the King with Jodi Foster and the CW's tv show The Flash. He is able to look back on his life experiences and reflect on them in a way that shows true emotional growth. He also opens up about both his and his brother's issues with substance abuse and mental health crises. 

Tom Felton was able to show many emotions throughout the entirety of this book, and it will allow any Potterhead to fall in love with new parts of the series and Tom (if you didn't already like I did).

Comments

  1. Tera, I had never heard of this book! But I loved Harry Potter (and of course didn't love Draco). Felton was excellent - and it's got to be difficult playing a character like that and then moving on. It sounds like an interesting book and something that I need to put on my TBR list (which is getting REALLY LONG!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always for adding new books to your TBR! it is definitely a book that I regret waiting so long to read it. There is so much more to it than I could even imagine putting in my review. The pictures and stories Felton chose to include in the book are top notch. It is definitely a book I will recommend for a long time!

      Delete
  2. Child actors have so much pressure of them. Between living "normal" lives and the stress of the job, I always find it interesting to see where they go in life as adults. I look forward to reading this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this book is a great find. I love Draco!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts