Week 11: Audiobooks and Ebooks

    Ebooks and audiobooks are avenues that can provide a greater number of patrons for a library. Ebooks are great for patrons that are visually impaired by allowing them to increase the font size and even change it to something that they find easier to read. Audiobooks are also great for those who are visually impaired but they are also great for those who find it hard to sit down and read a novel. One of my patrons has dyslexia and she listens to audiobooks because it is easier for her and they allow her to get through titles faster than if she were to try to sit and read a book. Personally, I prefer physical books, but have recently gotten into the habit of listening to audiobooks on Mondays while the library is closed to the public. For me, I find that if the narrator of an audiobook doesn’t have variations in their narrating styles I tune them out and give up on the book. Also, I have been listening to a lot of Regency Era romances, so the majority of the narrators have been English. These narrators have all been great, but I also find that they tend to talk a lot slower than I usually read. When I was reading The Viscount Who Loved Me for my romance annotation I also listened to the audiobook. I listened to the audiobook at 1.5 speed and was still reading ahead of the narrator. My coworkers couldn’t believe that I was able to understand what the narrator was saying, but I find that I struggle to stay interested if the narrator reads too slow. 

    If anything, audiobooks can make or break a genre for listeners. If the narrator for a fantasy series doesn’t perform tot he standard that listeners are used to, it can ruin the series for them. I don’t see any difference between an ebook and a normal book for readers, besides the obvious lack of depth from the ebook. Even with that loss of physical presence, ebooks don’t take away from genre knowledge. If anything, audiobooks add to genre knowledge because if there is new or strange vernacular in the book, the narrator has the knowledge of how to pronounce those terms that the general reader may not have access to. I don’t see any issue with people being able to change the font in an ebook because, whatever the reader changes the font to, it doesn’t change the contents of the book, which is what is really important for determining pacing and tone. Audiobooks are a different story. The choice of narrator can drastically affect readers perception of a book. For example, I listened to the Harry Potter audiobooks a few summers ago and, as much as most listeners like Jim Dale, I absolutely hated the voice he created for Professor McGonagall. Did this detract form how much I love the Harry Potter series? No, but I’ll probably never listen to the audiobooks ever again. 

Comments

  1. Tera, I think I've only listened to a faster speed once on an audiobook. I think it was because it was going to be due soon! But I have quit on books where the narrator is terrible. In some cases it just makes me decide to read the physical book. The narrator definitely makes a difference. I do think that in some cases where they use music that can enhance the tone (making it scarier or more tense, for example). And it's easy to lose interest if the narrator can't do the voices well. It can also be confusing. I listened to one book where I got confused about who was speaking because the narrator couldn't keep her own accents under control. That certainly had a negative effect on my experience.

    One of the articles we read talked about how you can't feel close to the end of an ebook, since you don't have that weight in your hand. That makes sense, but I think whenever I've read an ebook I knew pretty well where I was. Still, it was less intuitive. My son gets intimidated by thick books so he likes ebooks because he can "forget" how long they are and enjoy them more. I'm not sure that relates to an appeal factor but I thought it was interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janna!
      I'm glad to see that a bad narrator didn't completely ruin a book for you! I 100% agree that the narrator makes or breaks an audiobook, I almost gave up on listening to Den of Vipers because of the voice the male narrator chose for one of the characters. I don't know that I've ever listened to an audiobook with music in it besides at the beginning and end, so hopefully I'll come across one soon so I can get that experience too!

      I get where your son i coming from with big books being intimidating! I bought The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon and the prequel to it, but because they are both so large I feel really intimidated by the thought of starting them, especially with how busy I am with trying to balance work, school, and social responsibilities. But that is a book I would highly recommend if you haven't had the chance to read it! It's well worth the month or so it took me to read it.

      Delete
  2. I'm fairly tolerant with audiobook narrators, meaning that I'll power through just about anyone, but one thing I've realized about myself is that I think I prefer a drier and plainer read. Too many voices (and especially music) can be a little too distracting for me, although I understand that the point is for it to be more engaging! Audiobook discussion always emphasizes to me how personal reading really is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have figured out what works best for you! I think I tend to lean the same way you do, the narrators that create too many different character voices are too distracting and I end up focusing on the accents instead of the story.

      Delete
  3. You make a good point about the 1.5 speed. I tried an audiobook back when Harry Potter first came out but it was too slow for me. I should try another one again and speed it up. I just don't have the patience if the person reading it is too slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either! I prefer to listen to an audiobook as fast as I would be reading it if I had the book in my hands, so I have just found that sweet spot for each book I listen to and power through.

      Delete
  4. I hadn't thought about all the opportunities for narrators with accents or doing "voices" for characters! I never listened to audiobooks as a child but I think there is a lot of untapped potential there for young readers who want to hear different characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is! I also didn't listen to audiobooks as a kid, but that section is really popular in our Junior Fiction section of my library. The Disney audiobooks are definitely the ones that check out the most, but the Magic Tree House series is also really popular.

      Delete
  5. Great prompt response and discussion in the comments!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts