Week 13: Adults reading YA literature

Besides the Juvenile collection at my library, the Young Adult collection  is one of the most popular sections. I recommend from it heavily because a vast majority of the authors in that section are ones that I actively read. We have popular authors like Sarah J Maas, Holly Black, Sarah Dessen, Rainbow Rowell, etc. all in our YA section and adults actively check these titles out. We also have a large graphic novel/manga section that is constantly circulating. These titles range from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Marvel, DC, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, and many other titles. While older adults tend to focus more on YA than the GN/Manga section of the library, these titles are still actively circulating with the patrons that are around 20-40 as well as the younger patrons we serve. 

One of many jobs a librarian must take on is to be available to advise patrons in whatever genre/age range they prefer to read, even if it is something that may not interest them. Young/New Adult is a rapidly growing "genre" with many common authors featured. The fact that these authors are best-selling authors should speak volumes for how the public feels about their works, which in turn verifies the popularity of the titles. That alone insures these books a place on a library's shelves, but by not suggesting these books based on the patron's age is preventing them from possibly finding their new favorite title. A librarian should never prevent or judge someone from reading what they like; it is not the job of library staff. members to police what patrons are reading, but to provide them the space for figuring out what brings them joy.

Comments

  1. "...it is not the job of library staff members to police what patrons are reading, but to provide them the space for figuring out what brings them joy." I like this, and you are spot-on! I can attest that lots of adults enjoy read young adult fiction at my library as well. The young adult graphic novel/manga circulates extremely well too. I have no doubt this is a trend at most public libraries and based on circulation stats (and popularity) we need to provide this reading material to our patrons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skimming some of the new manga that we get in every year as I cover them in contact paper is one of my absolute favorite things to do at work! I was actually doing that today when I was covering My Love Story!! by Kazune Kawahara.
      With that, I must say that I whole-heartedly agree with you that the graphic novel/manga sections of libraries will continue to expand and grow. Anime and manga are continuously becoming more mainstream as time goes on and I always look forward to seeing what the next best thing is going to be!😊

      Delete
  2. Love your response! Great insight!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts